Friday 10 February 2012

RV Varun Kumar, IAS Topper 2010 says Interview is just an interaction with few learned men and women

Q. How did you prepare for the interview?
RV Varun
: I realized coaching institutes had no role in interview preparation. One minor function is that they can arrange for mock interviews. I sincerely suggest candidates to attend interview program with Manidha Naeyam IAS Academy in Chennai because they provide free food, free hostel, free classes, free mock interviews, free materials, free transportation. It might be strange to believe, but they also provide branded dresses of candidates’ choice. All of this free of cost. The institute is run as a charity by a philanthropist Mr.Saidai Duraisamy. Candidates should make the best use of such an opportunity. The mock interviews are done only by bureaucrats, academicians and former UPSC panelists. For me Mr.Balagurusamy conducted the mock interview.
My hobbies were watching documentaries and world cinema. I did not want to go to interview like an ordinary candidate. So I attended a film festival and wrote a lot of movie reviews. My eyes were literally burning when the show ended but I was awarded the “Film Buff Award” at the 8th Chennai International Film Festival.
My first option was IPS. I wanted to prove to the board that I was very passionate about IPS hence I wanted to do something in order to help the police work better. So I decided to work at Human Rights Commission where 80-82% of cases are registered against Police. The internship experience was very useful and I knew I was proving my authenticity to the board.
I also wanted to think, talk and behave like an administrator. Hence I searched for an administrative internship. I failed many a time but finally got permission from Seoni District in Madhya Pradesh (my friend is an IAS officer there). I did a week long internship there.
  
I requested an institute to call for experts on various topics and I listed out the topics like e-governance, transgender issues, women issues, police reforms, environmental conservation, river water disputes etc. Experts were invited (I was the one who decided who the speakers should be) and they delivered scintillating lectures.

I also looked out for happenings around the city in newspapers and websites. Whenever a seminar, debate, conference was taking place and if it was open to the public then I would definitely be a participant. In one seminar Ms.Nirupama Rao spoke. I also had the opportunity to listen to Mr.Subramanyam Swamy, Mr. Gopal Krishna Gandhi etc. I also raised questions in these forums and they gave due respect to the fact that I was a civil service aspirant. Youngsters like us should attend such forums and contribute to the debate.
Q. Please share the details of the interview? What was its duration, strength of the interview panel and what kind of questions were asked?
RV Varun
: Interview went on from 11.05am to 11.45am. I was the second candidate in my batch. The chairman of the board was Ms. Razni Razdan. There were 4 other male members. I shall list out the questions here:
  • Is Anna Hazare's demand implementable?
  • What are the problems you foresee if Anna Hazare's requests are agreed to by the government?
  • The image of the police is nefarious in the society. As a police officer how will you try to change it?
  • Tell us the rank hierarchy of Indian Army.
  • Who is the Japanese film director who is world renowned for his style? Name two movies which he directed.
  • What is judicial activism? Is it justified? Quote two examples of JA.
  • You completed your dentistry. Then you became an Assistant Commandant in CRPF. Now you want IPS. Why is your career plan so confused?
  • Is there a need for police reforms? If so tell the reforms.
  • You are an officer in Railway Protection Force. One poor man does not have travel ticket. One University Professor has lost the ticket he had bought. How will you handle both of them?
  • Based on a survey mapping, it is found that the number of SCs are very less in areas where STs are concentrated. Why is it so?
  • What is Phishing?
  • If you become an IPS officer, which is the organisation that you aspire to join?
Q. Were you confident in the interview hall? How did you remain calm and composed in what is usually considered a stressful situation?
RV Varun
: It is a stressful situation as long as candidates believe that they are not well prepared and when they think that the board is looking forward to reject them. However, it is just an interaction with few learned men and women and there is no need to panic. Use it as an opportunity to ‘market’ and advertise yourself. They are after all paid to listen to you.
Q. Finally, what is your opinion on the changes made in the Prelims exam? 
RV Varun: UPSC is a trustworthy and respectable body working under a Constitutional mandate and it has implemented CSAT which means CSAT would definitely be a level playing field. Candidates with a proper attitude and aptitude will clear this examination with flying colors. 
Q. Do you think the exam is shifting towards application of knowledge? If yes, how?
RV Varun
: The exam has always been focusing on application of knowledge. This is not new. One cannot say that candidates recruited and recommended in 1990s were writing an examination with minimal application of knowledge. UPSC is trying to make the recruitment process dynamic and befitting to the changing times. It will do its best to select the best brains.
Q. What is your advice to candidates who did not do well in interview?
RV Varun
: From my experience of the interview I can say every profile is different and valuable in its own way. It is up to you to enrich your resume. Work towards enriching your resume and your personality as well.
Q. Do you think that good understanding of current affairs can play a significant role even in optional papers?
RV Varun
: Unquestionably yes. If one does not have a good understanding of current affairs it simply means he/she does not have a good understanding of anything related to this exam.
Q. How can someone apply day to day knowledge in the CSE?
RV Varun
: In my opinion the three stages of CSE is just one personality test broken into three sub parts. Be the change you want to see. While preparing for preliminary exam itself start behaving, thinking, working and deciding like an administrator. You may not have all the resources but still you can achieve your targets with the resources available at hand. That is what is required of an administrator too.
Q. What is your goal in life and how will you now work towards it?
RV Varun
: My goal is to improve the image of the police. Make it more human rights friendly, people friendly, service oriented, dynamic and technologically upgraded. I shall lead by example and inspire my colleagues to work for a safe and secure India. I shall try to win the trust of the common man. In India, not many are aware that October 21 is the Police Commemoration Day. Before I retire from this service I will try to ensure that people have full faith in the police. Jai Hind.
Source: Jagran Josh

No comments:

Post a Comment